top of page

Monthly Meeting Notes - November 17, 2020

Apple Grove Beekeepers Association

Meeting Minutes



Slade called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

There were 13 members present.

Old Business

John stated that we will vote on amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws at the December meeting. There will need to be a 2/3rds majority vote from members that are present.

Shed - There has been no response to date from the Pastor regarding an answer from the Church’s Board Members as to whether we can place a shed on the Church’s property. Therefore, we need to talk about other options.

New Businesss

John presented the Treasurer’s report:

Bank Statement ending balance 10/30/2020 - $2,562.82

Checkbook balance: $2,562.82

Cash: $327.01

Checks Outstanding: 0.00

PayPal Balance: $0.00

There are 12 copies of the Beekeeping Basics and 18 copies of the Field Guide to Honey Bees.

John stated that the anti-virus protection plan payment is due again so that will be an upcoming expense.

We needed to establish an Audit Committee for the Treasurer’s accounting and a Nominations Committee to recommend a slate of new officers before the next meeting in December. Officers to be nominated are for President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Volunteers for each committee are as follows:

Audit Committee - Brian Butler, Elise Conrad, Sylvia Lewis

Nominations Committee - Matt Lewis, Slade Hart, Brian Butler

John said that member, Roxanne Kavros and her husband have offered the use of their Event Room/Barn at Callie Opie’s Restaurant for our December meeting and Christmas Pot Luck. This is a very nice offer! Jill will call Roxanne to find out more particulars and will discuss COVID and any restrictions that may apply regarding the number of people who can attend. In the meantime, Linda will contact the Pastor to ask permission to use the kitchen and the adjacent room at the church for our Pot Luck/December meeting.

We will send out an email to all of the club members to sign up for the Pot Luck and to respond with the dish they will bring. The club will furnish the main course.

There was much discussion about storage for our inventory. We should all keep our eyes open for a trailer, perhaps a 6x10 in size for storage. Slade has said he would not mind housing the trailer on his property. There was a motion for the group to give this situation some thought and report back at our Jan. 2021 meeting regarding any recommendations. The motion was passed.


Elise Conrad gave her presentation on Plants for Honey Bees. She had a slide presentation and a number of handouts. Elise talked about beneficial weeds, bushes, herbs, flowers and ground cover crops. She also mentioned plants that are poisonous to bees. If you missed this meeting and are interested in obtaining the handouts from this presentation, please contact me and I will be happy to get this information to you. This was a very nice presentation with a lot of helpful information. Thank you Elise!

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Minutes Submitted By:

Linda Carpenter, Secretary

AS A FOLLOW UP TO THIS MEETING: An email was sent out on 11/28/2020 which stated:

Due to lack of attendance and the increase in the Covid cases, we feel the need to cancel our December meeting and annual potluck. Until further notice, we will also suspend future club meetings. We will resume when we feel we can safely do so and as we follow CDC guidelines.

In the meantime we are available by phone or email ( to answer questions and offer assistance.

Club Officers:

President - Slade Hart 804-690-8436

Vice President - Jill Kelly 804-310-5380

Secretary - Linda Carpenter 804-347-3084

Treasurer - John Beers 804-205-4403

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page