Monthly Meeting Notes - July 16, 2019
Apple Grove Beekeepers Association
The regular meeting of the Apple Grove Beekeepers Association delayed a bit due to the Treasurer audit performed by Jeff Maurer, Sylvia Lewis and Pat Buckner.
The meeting was called to order at approximately 7:20 p.m. Jeff Maurer was the Chair Person for the audit. He reported that John Beers has been diligent and he has done a good job as Treasurer. They made a suggestion which was to have the balance in the check book end according to the last statement for the audit. The committee saw that the check written to the church in May has not cleared yet. It is assumed it has not been
Present: 25 existing members, 0 guests/new members
Treasurer’s report was presented by John Beers:
There are 17 copies of the Beekeeping Basics and 14 copies of the Field Guide
- John Beers reported that 34 queens (ankle biter/mite mauler) were received on 6/19/2019. 4 of the queens were dead so they are currently working with the post office to file the proper claim paperwork. 10 queens are expected on 7/22/2019.
- John Beers let us know that Howard Baldwin (the seller of the ankle biter/mite mauler queens) will speak to us on 8/20/2019 and he may bring several queen breeders with him. John said he is a good speaker. We will invite members of other clubs to come to this meeting if they would like to attend.
- Dennis Conrad commented that he had a good 3 years as president and he thanked Slade Hart for stepping up to be President of the club.
- Eileen Carroll passed around a sign-up sheet for the Louisa County Agricultural Fair for July 26th and 27th. She needs more volunteers! She said she was working on getting a better spot than last year to be more visible to the public. She was hoping to be near the petting zoo. Eileen suggested that we could bring visuals if we have any to share. This booth is for informational purposes only.
The new board members are:
President: Slade Hart
Vice President: Jill Kelly
Secretary: Linda Carpenter
Treasurer: John Beers
- Slade Hart said he would like to do more in the schools educating children about bees. Jouett Elementary has an observation hive already.
- Jill Kelly said she is working on potential future speakers. She is looking for a speaker for the September meeting for the topic “Preparing for Winter”. She has lined up Aaron Evans, State Representative to speak to us about “Preparing for Year End” at our October meeting.
- There was discussion about Varroa Management and the various types of treatments (Apivar, Hopguard, ApplelifeVar and Mite Away quick strips). Members shared what they liked, what they didn’t like and what they would never use again. Honey Bee Health Coalition is a great resource and has “Free Information”. Find out about treatments to consider on their website and how to apply them.
- We watched several videos on Varroa - Integrated Pest Management
- Suggestion was made at the end: sample for mites 4 times a year and use nurse bees when doing so. During the months of July and August, the queens are making bees for the winter. Decide how you want to treat and start treating (July - October).
Motion to adjourn by Matt Lewis and Linda Carpenter seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m. by Slade Hart. The next meeting is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on August 20, 2019, in the CVAG meeting room.
Minutes Submitted By:
Linda Carpenter, Secretary